In order to determine whether you are entitled to residuals, you must know the following:
- Was your material covered under a Guild contract? (This should almost always be a "yes," because Guild members are precluded by Working Rule 8 from optioning or selling to, or performing writing services for, a company that is not signatory to the MBA.)
- Did you receive a writing credit?
- If you wrote a theatrical motion picture, was it reused in non-theatrical markets?
- If you wrote for television, was your project reused in any market?
If the answer is "yes" to the above, it is helpful if you also know the following:
- For television programs, what market was your project written for?
- What was the date of your employment/acquisition agreement?
- If you wrote a theatrical motion picture, when did principal photography commence?