- For Members
- Create Web Account
- Declare/Pay Dues
- Your Residuals
- Update Your Contact Information
- WGAE Financial Statement
- Executive Director’s Report
- Your Career
- Plan Your Retirement
- Get Healthcare
- Guild Contracts
- Late Payment
- Get Involved
- WGAE Council FAQ
- Member Benefits
- Our Constitution
- WGA AMBA Information
- About the Guild
- News, Events & Awards
- Resource & Reference List for Writers
- Sexual Harassment Resource Guide
- Manhattan Neighborhood Network
- OnWriting ONLINE
- Agents & Agencies
- Digital Media Training Videos
- Industry Affiliations
- Services for Writers
- Job Postings
- Writing Tools
- Union Plus
- Find a Writer
- Script Registration
- Let’s Talk
Urbanworld Film Festival – Original Screenplay Competition
URBANWORLD FILM FESTIVAL
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY COMPETITION
Urbanworld Film Festival is now accepting submissions for the 20th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival, to be held September 21 – 25, 2016 in NYC. The festival includes screenings of narrative features, documentaries, short films, and spotlight films along with Q&A sessions and moderated panels. UW also offers live staged screenplay readings, the Urbanworld Digital track (focused on digital and social media), and Urbanworld Music, which highlights emerging talent in live performances during after-party events. Go to http://urbanworld.org to submit today.
Urbanworld Film Festival – Call for Original Narrative Screenplay Submissions
- Four finalists will be invited to participate in the festival and will:
- Receive all-access passes to UW,
- Collaborate with UW to present staged excerpts of their screenplays for industry guests
- Attend a luncheon in their honor hosted by the Writer’s Guild of America East
- The winner will be announced at the official awards ceremony and will receive a cash prize
- 4/29/16 – Regular Deadline
- 5/27/16 – Late Deadline
- 6/10/16 – Extended Deadline
- (submission fees increase with each deadline)
SCREENPLAY ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- No hard copy submissions will be considered; only electronic submissions via FilmFreeway.
- The screenwriter of the screenplay must consider himself/herself a person of color OR the screenplay must feature people of color as prominent characters in the story. At a minimum, the screenplay must highlight an inclusive cast that reflects the shifting demographics around the world.
- Screenplays must be the standard feature film length (90-130 pages) and standard US format only. Treatments will not be accepted. Only English language screenplays will be accepted.
- If the applicant has participated in any previous Urbanworld screenplay competition with a script, that script will not be accepted, irrespective of any and all revisions/changes the applicant may have made subsequent to participation.
- Screenplays may not have been produced, sold, or licensed for theatrical, television, or online production.
- Screenplays must be the original work of the applicant and registered with the Writers Guild of America, East Script Registration at scriptregistration.org or copyrighted.
SCREENPLAY SUBMISSION PROCEDURE:
- The applicant’s name, address, and phone number MUST appear on the cover of the screenplay’s title page.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions per applicant, provided separate submissions and submission fee accompanies each submission.
- All screenplays must be uploaded as a PDF file by the extended deadline, June 10, 2016.
- Screenwriters will be notified via email of submission status by July 13, 2016.
- You must have your electronic press kit materials available for submission to Urbanworld, along with the Screenwriter Checklist, no later than July 22, 2016, if accepted as an official selection.