- For Members
- 2017 Council Elections
- Contract 2017
- Create Web Account
- Declare/Pay Dues
- Your Residuals
- Update Your Contact Information
- WGAE Financial Statement
- Executive Director’s Report
- Your Career
- Plan Your Retirement
- Get Healthcare
- Guild Contracts
- Schedule of Minimums
- Late Payment
- Get Involved
- WGAE Council FAQ
- Member Benefits
- Our Constitution
- About the Guild
- News, Events & Awards
- Resource & Reference List for Writers
- Sexual Harassment Resource Guide
- Manhattan Neighborhood Network
- OnWriting ONLINE
- Agents & Agencies
- Digital Media Training Videos
- Educational Opportunities
- Industry Affiliations
- Services for Writers
- Job Postings
- Writing Tools
- Union Plus
- Find a Writer
- Script Registration
- Let’s Talk
2018 WGA Documentary Screenplay Award – Call For Submissions
NEW YORK AND LOS ANGELES (AUGUST 14, 2017) – The Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) and the Writers Guild of America West (WGAW) have announced the submission period is now open for the 2018 WGA Documentary Screenplay Award, honoring outstanding achievement in documentary feature writing. Submissions will be accepted from August 14 through November 17, 2017.
Qualifications for WGA Documentary Screenplay Award eligibility include:
- Theatrical documentaries must have been written under the WGA’s Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA) or under a bona fide collective bargaining agreement of the Writers Guild of Canada, Writers’ Guild of Great Britain, Writers’ Guild of Ireland, Writers’ Guild of South Africa, New Zealand Writers Guild, Film Writers’ Association (India), La Guilde Francaise des Scénaristes (France), Scriptwriters Guild of Israel, the Société des Auteurs de Radio, Télévision et Cinéma (Québec) or Verband Deutscher Drehbuchautoren (VDD/Germany) (collectively, “affiliate Guilds”).
- Documentaries must contain an on-screen writing credit and have been exhibited theatrically in Los Angeles or New York for at least one week during 2017.
- The deadline for submissions is 5:30 p.m. (PST) Friday, November 17, 2017.
- Scripts must be feature length (more than 40 minutes).
- Documentaries that received their first public exhibition via broadcast or cable television are not eligible for Writers Guild Awards consideration.
- Foreign-language films are eligible, provided they feature English-language subtitles.
WGA Documentary Screenplay nominees, as well as Original and Adapted Screenplay nominees, will be announced on Thursday, January 4, 2018.
Further inquiries regarding the WGA Documentary Screenplay Award may be directed to Dana Weissman in the WGAE Awards Office at (212) 767-7835, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Jennifer Burt in the WGAW Awards Office at (323) 782-4569, email: email@example.com.
The Writers Guild Awards honor outstanding writing in film, television, new media, videogames, news, radio, promotional, and graphic animation categories. The 2018 Writers Guild Awards (70th Annual) will be presented at concurrent ceremonies on Sunday, February 11, 2018, in New York City at the Edison Ballroom and in Los Angeles at the Beverly Hilton. For more information about the 2018 Writers Guild Awards, please visit www.wgaeast.org and www.wga.org.
For media inquiries about the 2018 WGA New York City show, please contact Jason Gordon in the WGAE Communications Department at (212) 767-7809 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For media inquiries about the 2018 WGA Los Angeles show, please contact Gregg Mitchell in the WGAW Communications Department at: (323) 782-4651 or email: email@example.com.
The Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) and the Writers Guild of America West (WGAW) are labor unions representing writers in motion pictures, television, cable, digital media, and broadcast news. The Guilds negotiate and administer contracts that protect the creative and economic rights of their members; conduct programs, seminars, and events on issues of interest to writers; and present writers’ views to various bodies of government. For more information on the Writers Guild of America, East, visit www.wgaeast.org. For more information on the Writers Guild of America, West, visit www.wga.org.