Event DetailsMonday June 1, 2020 5:00 pm
The tenth installment of the Fundamentals of Screenwriting Series with Timothy Michael Cooper.
The first 10 pages of any script are vital to get readers engaged by your hook, attached to your premise, and rooting for your characters—and you as a writer. Here’s how to propel us into your story with gripping images, powerful character introductions, and masterful openings that reassure us we’re in good hands.
Some of the topics and techniques we’ll cover include:
- 3 tools to come up with a fresh, striking, character-driven opening image
- Immediately pass the “make me care” challenge
- Pose a mystery on page 1 that carries us through to the final page
- The secret to making us root for your main character in just a few words!
- Surprising methods to subvert tropes and use “on-the-nose” writing to your advantage
- 10 tips to establish your unique voice within the first few pages
- Comprehensive checklist of dos and don’ts to get on any reader’s good side
- Use the “breadcrumb” technique to make us eager to see what happens next
…and a whole lot more. Hope to see you there!
Timothy Michael Cooper is an award-winning filmmaker, comedy writer, and script consultant. He wrote and directed the Writers Guild Award-nominated Concierge: The Series, starring Kate McKinnon. His short comedy Lemon premiered at Tribeca, played at dozens of international festivals and on United Airlines, and is currently in development as a sitcom. Plus, he’s been part of the writers’ room for the Writers Guild Awards for the past six years, writing monologue jokes and sketches for numerous hosts/presenters.
Through his company, Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he’s taught hundreds of writers. His clients and students have sold their scripts to major studios; staffed on multiple network and cable TV shows; screened/won at SXSW, Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes, etc.; and got their movies and shows made across the globe.
Timothy is a proud member of the WGAE, the Brooklyn Filmmakers Collective Writers’ Workshop, the Hollywood Radio & Television Society, and the WGAE Softball Team.
About The Fundamentals of Screenwriting Series
The Fundamentals of Screenwriting with Timothy Michael Cooper is a new WGA East seminar series. This series aims to live up to its name – to teach the fundamentals for screenwriters that need a refresher or journalists looking to learn for the first time.