Event DetailsMonday April 3, 2023 5:00 pm
Craft a more powerful story by creating emotionally resonant, modern, complex, realistic characters—whether writing for TV, film, or digital projects.
You’ll learn how to give A-list actors exactly what they want: big arcs, huge changes, major secrets, emotional range, multidimensionality, and the chance to play against type.
Some of the topics and techniques we’ll cover include:
- How to deliver the highly charged conflicts that actors adore
- Top 10 ways to put your characters through the wringer
- Construct the “I can’t believe they went there!” moment
- Gift each of your characters a massive secret
- 5 methods to ensure your protagonist resonates deeply with today’s issues
- Implement the the biggest, most impactful arcs imaginable—plus seemingly insurmountable obstacles
- Tricks to giving even the most minor character memorable nuance
- Write dialogue that’s as far from generic as possible
- Craft the Oscar-bait scene that leaves audiences buzzing
…and a whole lot more. Hope to see you there!
Timothy Michael Cooper is an award-winning filmmaker, comedy writer, and script consultant. He wrote and directed the Writers Guild Award-nominated Concierge: The Series, starring Kate McKinnon. His short comedy Lemon premiered at Tribeca, played at dozens of international festivals and on United Airlines, and is currently in development as a sitcom. Plus, he’s been part of the writers’ room for the Writers Guild Awards for the past six years, writing monologue jokes and sketches for numerous hosts/presenters.
Through his company, Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he’s taught hundreds of writers. His clients and students have sold their scripts to major studios; staffed on multiple network and cable TV shows; screened/won at SXSW, Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes, etc.; and got their movies and shows made across the globe.
Timothy is a proud member of the WGAE, the Brooklyn Filmmakers Collective Writers’ Workshop, the Hollywood Radio & Television Society, and the WGAE Softball Team.
About The Fundamentals of Screenwriting Series
The Fundamentals of Screenwriting with Timothy Michael Cooper is a WGA East seminar series that aims to live up to its name – to teach the fundamentals for screenwriters that need a refresher or journalists and other screenwriting novices looking to learn for the first time.