Event DetailsMonday August 10, 2020 5:00 pm
The twelfth installment of the Fundamentals of Screenwriting Series with Timothy Michael Cooper
Reservations are not yet open for this event. Members will receive an invitation via email when they’re able to RSVP.
Learn by doing—as we develop an entire script outline as a group, from scratch!
Step through each creative milestone as we demonstrate what’s truly required to write an industry-standout screenplay.
Some of the topics and techniques we’ll cover include:
- Craft a timely hook that’s laden with irony
- Power-up and deliver on your premise’s unusual attractor
- Unleash unique brainstorming exercises to deliver more daring ideas
- Design original, distinct, and iconic characters—and character flaws
- Throw your lead into deeply uncomfortable, even impossible situations
- Use classic structural templates to your advantage
- Heighten scenarios to their breaking point…and beyond
- Paint an unforgettable opening image
- Construct one-of-a-kind, high-tension set pieces
- Conclude with an unexpected yet satisfying climax
- …and a whole lot more. Hope to see you there!
Timothy Michael Cooper is an award-winning filmmaker, comedy writer, and script consultant. He wrote and directed the Writers Guild Award-nominated Concierge: The Series, starring Kate McKinnon. His short comedy Lemon premiered at Tribeca, played at dozens of international festivals and on United Airlines, and is currently in development as a sitcom. Plus, he’s been part of the writers’ room for the Writers Guild Awards for the past six years, writing monologue jokes and sketches for numerous hosts/presenters.
Through his company, Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he’s taught hundreds of writers. His clients and students have sold their scripts to major studios; staffed on multiple network and cable TV shows; screened/won at SXSW, Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes, etc.; and got their movies and shows made across the globe.
Timothy is a proud member of the WGAE, the Brooklyn Filmmakers Collective Writers’ Workshop, the Hollywood Radio & Television Society, and the WGAE Softball Team.
About The Fundamentals of Screenwriting Series
The Fundamentals of Screenwriting with Timothy Michael Cooper is a new WGA East seminar series. This series aims to live up to its name – to teach the fundamentals for screenwriters that need a refresher or journalists looking to learn for the first time.