NBC Promo Writers Ratify Three-Year Contract with WGA East
NEW YORK, NY (October 15, 2018) – The Writers Guild of America, East today announced that NBC Promo Writers unanimously ratified a new collective bargaining agreement covering 2018 through 2021.
The bargaining unit members write and produce broadcast promotional materials for news programming at WNBC and NBC network news, including NEWS 4 NEW YORK, MEGYN KELLY TODAY, NBC NIGHTLY NEWS and MEET THE PRESS.
Highlights from the agreement include:
- Increases to minimums and salaries for overscale staff employees of 2% in each contract year;
- Salary increases for staff employees to be retroactive to April 2018;
- Bonus of $2,000 for certain overscale full-time daily hires;
- Premiums for daily hires to increase from 19% to 19.5% upon ratification, and to 20% in May 2019; and
- Contributions to the health and pension plans shall be paid in accordance with the current Minimum Basic Agreement.
Lowell Peterson, Executive Director of the Writers Guild of America, East, lauded the agreement, saying, “We are pleased that the company recognized the value of all of the employees in the unit, who remained united throughout the negotiations.”
The NBC Promo Writers bargaining committee added, “In an environment that’s so anti-union, we are pleased that NBC Universal signed a contract with the Writers Guild of America, East recognizing our value as a union.”
ABOUT WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA, EAST
The Writers Guild of America, East, AFL-CIO (WGAE) is a labor union representing writers in film, television, news and new media. The Guild negotiates and administers contracts that protect the creative and economic rights of its members; conducts programs, seminars and events on issues of interest to writers; and presents writers’ views to various bodies of government. For more information on the Writers Guild of America, East, visit wgaeast.org.