WGA East Members at CBS News Streaming Ratify Renewed Union Contract
NEW YORK, NY (June 6, 2023) – After becoming the first live-streaming news network to win a collective bargaining agreement in 2020, Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) members at CBS News Streaming (formerly CBSN) have ratified a second union contract, with gains in both economic and non-economic areas.
The agreement includes across the board pay increases of 3% in each of the contract’s three years (with the first increase retroactive to March 10), an increase to all salary minimums, a $500 ratification bonus for all employees, and further benefit improvements for the 58 members of the CBS News Streaming bargaining unit.
Additional highlights from the contract include:
- Company to respond to vacation requests within specific deadlines;
- 30 day notice period before management may change the hybrid work model;
- Improve extra pay/comp time for working 11-13 hours and 13+ hours;
- Commuter reimbursements for work ending on or after 10 p.m. or starting on or before 6 a.m., up to $100 per day;
- Flex days to increase from 2 per year to 3 on 1/1/25;
- Digital Associates will be eligible for producing fees after 40 segments (down from 50);
- Clarify that Senior Producer fee applies to work as an Executive Producer;
- Form a committee to discuss joining the CBS National Agreement.
The CBS News Streaming Bargaining Unit said, “We are pleased to have reached a deal with CBS that recognizes the value that Guild members bring to CBS News Streaming by providing fair pay increases, better compensation for long days and extra work, and a better work-life balance, among other gains.”
Lowell Peterson, Executive Director of the Writers Guild of America, East, added, “As the broadcast news industry continues to expand onto additional platforms, we are proud to represent newsroom employees at CBS News Streaming, which streams content online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This second contract builds on gains we made with these members shortly after they first organized with us a few years ago.”
ABOUT THE WRITERS GUILD OF AMERICA, EAST
The Writers Guild of America, East, AFL-CIO (WGAE) is a labor union representing writers in film, television, broadcast and streaming news, podcasts, and online media. The Guild negotiates and administers contracts that protect the creative and economic rights of its members; conducts programs, seminars and events on issues of interest to writers; and presents writers’ views to various bodies of government. For more information on the Writers Guild of America, East, visit wgaeast.org.