75th Annual Writers Guild Awards: 2022-2023 Media Timeline
New York and Los Angeles – The 2023 Writers Guild Awards (75th Annual) will be presented on Sunday, March 5, 2023. The Writers Guild Awards honor outstanding writing in film, television, new media, news, radio/audio, and promotional categories.
2022-2023 MEDIA TIMELINE
Tue. Sept. 6: Submissions Open in ALL Categories: Screenplays (Original, Adapted, Documentary), Series (Drama, Comedy, Limited, New), TV-Radio/Audio-New Media Scripts and Paul Selvin Award (WGAW)
Fri. Nov. 18: Deadline for submissions: Series (Drama, Comedy, Limited, New); TV-Radio/Audio-New Media Scripts and Paul Selvin Award (WGAW)
Mon. Dec. 5: Preliminary Series (Drama, Comedy, Limited, New) online voting begins
Fri. Dec. 9: Deadline for submissions: Screenplays (Original, Adapted, Documentary)
Mon. Dec. 26: Deadline for Preliminary Series (Drama, Comedy, Limited, New) online voting
Mon. Jan. 9: Preliminary Screenplay (Original, Adapted, Documentary) online voting begins
Wed. Jan. 11: Television, New Media, News, Radio/Audio, and Promotional Writing Nominations Announced
Mon. Jan. 23: Deadline for Preliminary Screenplay (Original, Adapted, Documentary) online voting
Wed. Jan. 25: Screenplay (Original, Adapted, Documentary) Nominations Announced
TBA: Beyond Words: Writers Guild Awards-nominated screenwriters panel
TBA: “And the Nominees Are…” Writers Guild Awards nominees panel
Sun. Mar. 5: 2023 WRITERS GUILD AWARDS (75TH Annual)
Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) and Writers Guild of America West (WGAW) have made changes to the eligibility and submission criteria for some of the Writers Guild Awards categories this year.
- Limited Series will no longer submit in the Original Long Form and Adapted Long Form categories. Limited Series must now use the Series form to submit for WGA Awards consideration.
- The Guild will apply the same voting rules to the Limited Series category that it applies to the Drama, Comedy and New Series categories: the five Series which receive the most votes in each category will become the respective category nominees, and all writers employed to perform writing services on the Series will be eligible to be nominated and/or win.
- Limited Series are not eligible to compete for New Series awards consideration.
Television & New Media Motion Pictures
- With the migration of Limited Series to the Series voted categories, the Original Long Form and Adapted Long Form script submission categories have been combined into one script submission category: Television & New Media Motion Pictures.
- A Television or New Media Motion Picture is a motion picture, over one hour in length, which is broadcast on network or cable television or is exhibited on a streaming service, regardless of its original or adapted classification.
- A New Media Motion Picture that has/had a theatrical release and a simultaneous streaming exhibition must submit in the Original Screenplay or Adapted Screenplay category.
- WGA contractual coverage is now required for all animated television and new media script submissions.
Original Short Form New Media and Adapted Short Form New Media categories have been combined into one Short Form New Media category
- Short Form New Media series with episodes less than 15 minutes in length will now submit in one combined category, regardless of their original or adapted classification.
More detailed information on eligibility criteria and submission guidelines for all Writers Guild Awards categories can be found here.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Paul Selvin Award
Submission deadline: 5:30 p.m. (PT) on Friday, November 18, 2022
• Rules and Eligibility
For specific questions about the Writers Guild Awards submissions process, including which category to submit your program in, please contact WGAW Senior Awards Administrator Jennifer Burt at 323-782-4569 or email: email@example.com.
AWARDS ELIGIBILITY PERIODS
TV & New Media eligibility period: First broadcast or exhibited between Jan. 1, 2022 and Dec. 31, 2022
News & TV Documentary categories only (6, 7A, 7B, 10, 11, 12, 16): First broadcast or exhibited between Nov. 1, 2021 and Oct. 31, 2022
Theatrical Screenplay eligibility period: Exhibited theatrically in Los Angeles for one week between Jan. 1, 2022 – Dec. 31, 2022
Documentary Screenplays: Exhibited theatrically in Los Angeles or New York for one week between Jan. 1, 2022 – Dec. 31, 2022
For media inquiries about the 2023 WGA New York show, please contact Jason Gordon in the WGAE Communications Department at (212) 767-7809 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For media inquiries about the 2023 WGA Los Angeles show, please contact Bob Hopkinson in the WGAW Communications Department at: (310) 801-8563 or email: email@example.com.
The Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) and the Writers Guild of America West (WGAW) are labor unions representing writers in motion pictures, television, cable, digital media, and broadcast news. The Guilds negotiate and administer contracts that protect the creative and economic rights of their members; conduct programs, seminars, and events on issues of interest to writers; and present writers’ views to various bodies of government. For more information on the Writers Guild of America, East, visit www.wgaeast.org. For more information on the Writers Guild of America, West, visit www.wga.org.