Caucuses and Guild Contracts
Caucuses are professional communities for writers who work in more “niche” corners of the entertainment industry. As such, Caucus membership is a valuable jumping-off point for writers who aim to become members of the Writers Guild.
The Writers Guild of America, East fosters and protects the ability of all professional writers to pursue their craft as a sustainable career—inclusive of pension and benefits—whether or not writers are currently members of the Guild. Although it’s true that many Caucus members work in more “niche” areas of the industry where financial limitations are often a reality, the Writers Guild is emphatic that working with a lower budget does not mean that writers need to accept lower standards from their employers. The Writers Guild is able to protect and support writers because we have negotiated certain rights and standards through contracts, many of which are intended specifically to cover writers in lower-budget fields.
What can a Guild Contract secure for writers?
- Minimum compensation rates
- Pension & health contributions
- Protection of creative rights
Why explore Guild Contracts?
Having one’s work covered under a Guild contract gives writers the opportunity to receive benefits and protections like healthcare coverage, pension plan earnings, and residual payments.
In addition, through these contracts, writers who are not yet WGA members may become eligible for Guild membership.
Part of the purpose of the Guild’s Caucuses is to guide writers through the process of covering their work under a Guild contract. We encourage current and prospective Caucus members to familiarize themselves with the agreements and contracts most relevant to them:
- Indie Film Caucus:
• Low Budget Agreement (LBA)
- Documentary Caucus:
• Documentary Screenplay Contract
- New Media Caucus:
• Sideletter on Literary Material Written for Programs Made for New Media (📄)*
• Interactive Program Contract for Videogames
*Writers of “New Media” projects that meet certain minimum criteria can have their contract covered under the New Media Sideletter.
- Animation Caucus: Many Animation shows are covered under Guild contracts. If you are a non-member, our Organizing staff can work with you and your fellow writers to secure a WGA contract which provides health and pension benefits, residuals and other Guild protections.
More information, additional forms, and other contracts can be found on by visiting Guild Contracts.
For more information about how the Guild can help advance the careers of writers in these fields beyond Contracts, please contact us using the form below.