- For Members
- Create Web Account
- Declare/Pay Dues
- Your Residuals
- Update Your Contact Information
- WGAE Financial Statement
- Executive Director’s Report
- Your Career
- Plan Your Retirement
- Get Healthcare
- Guild Contracts
- Late Payment
- Get Involved
- WGAE Council FAQ
- Member Benefits
- Our Constitution
- WGA AMBA Information
- About the Guild
- News, Events & Awards
- Resource & Reference List for Writers
- Sexual Harassment Resource Guide
- Manhattan Neighborhood Network
- OnWriting ONLINE
- Agents & Agencies
- Digital Media Training Videos
- Educational Opportunities
- Industry Affiliations
- Services for Writers
- Job Postings
- Writing Tools
- Union Plus
- Find a Writer
- Script Registration
- Let’s Talk
WGAE Council FAQ
Updated: April 28, 2017
What is the Council?
The Council is the governing body of the WGAE, consisting of 19 members (6 Staff and 13 Freelance), plus the three officers (President, Vice President and Secretary-Treasurer).
What is a Freelance member and what is a Staff member?
Freelance members work in screen, television and new media, and Staff members work in television, digital and radio news shops under the Guild’s jurisdiction.
What does the Council do?
The Council’s responsibilities include:
- establishment of Guild policy and organizing objectives
- management of funds and property of the Guild
- negotiation of contracts
- appointment of Guild Trustees to the Producer-Writers Guild of America Pension Plan and the Writers Guild-Industry Health Fund
- the construction and interpretation of the provisions of the Guild’s Constitution and By-Laws
- the appointment of both standing and ad hoc committees
- receiving the Executive Director’s reports
How long is the term of office for Council members and officers?
How often does the Council meet?
Monthly, usually on the first Thursday.
How long are the meetings?
Anywhere from one to three hours.
How many vacancies are there each year?
Of the 6 staff seats and 13 freelance seats on Council, 3 staff seats and either 6 or 7 freelance seats are up for election each year (6 in 2017). Candidates run for the seats within their own membership categories. Officer positions are vacated every other year (they are up for election in 2017).
Who is eligible to run for Council or an officer position?
Any member in good standing who has been a member for one year preceding the annual meeting of the Guild (Tuesday, September 19, 2017).
WGA East. 250 Hudson Street, Suite 700. New York. NY 10013
212.767.7800 (phone); 212.582.1909 (fax); www.wgaeast.org