Assistant Director/Writer at Princeton University
About the position
Princeton University Advancement works to inform, inspire, and involve Princeton’s global community of alumni, parents, and friends in ways that enable the University to fulfill its mission of advancing learning through scholarship, research, and teaching to serve humanity.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President and Chief of Staff, the Assistant Director is a vital member of the Office of Vice President for Advancement’s team. The successful candidate is an experienced and skilled writer who is responsible for a diverse portfolio, including researching and writing a wide range of materials for the Vice President for Advancement and senior administrators and volunteers. The Assistant Director also works closely with senior administrators and faculty in Advancement and across the University, and partners with frontline fundraisers and frontline engagement staff. The position has a matrixed reporting line to Advancement Communications.
*For full consideration please attach a cover letter*
- Responsible for select Advancement-related correspondence, briefings, and remarks including those for the Vice President for Advancement and senior administrators.
- Work with the Assistant Vice President and Chief of Staff and the Vice President for Advancement on internal Advancement communiques and remarks.
- Ensure that materials are clear and concise, that content, tone, and voice are appropriate and that they are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure the accuracy of all facts and details in speeches, statements, quotes, and correspondence.
- Support the work of the Assistant Vice President and Chief of Staff by conducting research or assembling reports as needed for ad hoc projects.
- Work discretely on sensitive or delicate assignments, exercising sound judgment and maintaining the trust and confidence of Advancement’s senior leadership team.
- Maintain a comprehensive working knowledge of the University and the fundraising initiatives across the institution, as well as Princeton’s engagement goals and objectives.
- Effectively represent Princeton’s mission and fundraising and engagement initiatives to a variety of constituencies and stakeholders.
- Undertake special projects and perform other assignments for the Vice President and the Chief of Staff and Assistant Vice President.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum five years’ experience with executive communications, including speechwriting and correspondence.
- Superior editing and proofreading skills.
- Proven writing and copy-editing skills across a range of media and in multiple voices.
- Deep familiarity with fundraising and engagement environments; university experience preferred.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately, both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to forge productive relationships with colleagues in Advancement and across the University and work effectively with senior administrators and peers in Advancement.
- Ability to master and communicate complex concepts and workflows across Advancement and Princeton University.
- Possess the highest standards of professionalism and performance as evidenced by collaborative teamwork, initiative, critical thinking, good judgment, attentiveness to detail; consistency of output, timeliness of follow-through.
- Ability to participate meaningfully and creatively in strategic planning and problem-solving.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set clear priorities and manage time well.
- Able to work independently at the highest level without close day-to-day supervision.
- Exercising discretion at all times, the incumbent must be able to keep confidential all data and information related to Princeton and its alumni.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Commitment to the guiding principles of High Performance, Innovation, Civility, and Collaboration.
Selected candidates will be required to submit writing samples and complete a copy editing exercise.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Apply via the Princeton application portal: https://www.click2apply.net/YaLV8etPwLw8ncmbki8MrE